Sunday, July 19, 2009

Moving... According to Maz

Right before my eighth grade year, my family moved from my hometown in northern Nevada to a little town in south-eastern Arizona. It all happened very fast and it broke my heart. I left my dearest friends, my favorite places and the best place in the entire world and moved hundreds of miles south. I spent my entire summer after seventh grade year attached at the hip with Kate Pinder and I was looking forward to what promised to be a fantastic eighth grade year. I had great (and very popular) friends, teachers and coaches that loved me and the school was mine to rule. But instead, all within about three weeks, my world was turned upside down and I was stuck in a little town I hated and felt completely out of place in. 
But, God does work in mysterious ways. As miserable as I was in Safford, it was far closer to my extended family. Throughout my high school years, we had several horrible sicknesses and deaths in our family and we were lucky enough to be close to them for help and support. It would have been horrible to have been so far away as those happened, so I'm very thankful we could be close. But this seems like the only good thing that has come from living here. 
My father attended the University of Arizona and has committed his life to raising my brother and I to be Arizona Wildcats. So, it was always assumed that when we finally graduated from high school, we would go off to Tucson, no matter where we lived. Even when I decided at the age of 8 that I was going to go to Stanford, I knew I never would because I knew the U of A was the place for me. So, while living in Nevada, I always envisioned myself saying goodbye to my parents and flying to the far off land of desert and sun to live in pretty red-brick buildings. But now, the only difference is I will be driving there. And I'm stoked.
Not only because I will be going to college, but because I feel like the U of A is where I'm supposed to be. Ever since I was born, I've felt that at this point in my life, my college years, have been meant to be spent in Tucson. That, even if I didn't live in Safford, if my family had never moved and I still lived in Fallon, I would be going off to Tucson anyway. Like Safford was just an unexpected side route that didn't really mean to happen. So, although I'm scared out of my mind to be all on my own, freaked out about my roommate, afraid to fail all my classes and lose my scholarship, in fear I will become lazy and fat, and terrified of mistakes I know I will make, I am at peace knowing this is where I'm supposed to be. I really truly believe that. For the last 5 years I have felt out of wack with my life but now I feel that I'm right where I should be. Sure, Tucson is not the greatest place in the world, but it's the place where I belong. It feels good knowing that if Safford never happened, if I had never moved, I would be still be right where I am today, getting ready to go to the U of A. Maybe this isn't something I should be feeling, because college is about "getting out of your comfort zone" and that old saying "if you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans" but that's how I feel anyway. I'm content in knowing that after all this time, I'm back to where I should be. I like that feeling, the feeling that this has been planned out for years and years and now it's going into effect. That although my life changed, it's back to where it originally was supposed to go. I've had enough with being out of my element, I just want to be where I want to be. So Tucson, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment